Marina Casino Chips
Hard Rock | $1 Chips | Rare Chips | New Chips | Limited Editions | Brothel Chips
Price Guides | Display Frames | Supplies | Roulette Chips | Matches | Cart | Contact

 

Marina Casino Chips

Image

Denomination

Mold

Date

Price

Purchase

$1.00

House

1988

$17.00

$5.00

House

1988

$31.00

$25.00

House

1988

$31.00

$100.00

H&C

1975

$49.00

$500.00

H&C

1975

$51.00

$1.00

Nevada

1992

 

 

$5.00

Nevada

1992

 

 

$25.00

Nevada

1992

 

 

$100.00

Nevada

1992

 

 

$500.00

Nevada

1992

 

 

$1000.00

Nevada

1992

 

 

History of the Marina Hotel and MGM

The Marina Hotel and Casino opened in 1975, at 3805 Las Vegas Boulevard.

The resort held the Port of Call Restaurant. The decor was authentic seafaring with colorful nautical trappings. The casino held four poker tables, and a sports and racing book.

In 1980, Kirk Kerkorian's dream, the MGM Grand (now Bally's LV), became a tragedy. Even though the MGMs interior was rebuilt safer, Kerkorian knew that his dream would always be associated with death and tragedy.

He proceeded to buy the Marina in 1989, and changed its name to the MGM Marina. Seeing the Marina as a stable, solidly built resort, he decided not to destroy the resort but to build around it, making the Marina a part of his dream. The 100 acre Tropicana Country Club was also bought. On November 30, 1990, the Marina was closed and on October 7, 1991, ground breaking occurred to recreate Kerkorian's The City of Entertainment. A total of 1,500 workers put in 12,000 man hours per day with construction costs averaging $1 million each day.

On February 23, 1993, MGM celebrated a "topping off" ceremony with the placement of the last panel of emerald green glass hoisted onto one of the 30-story hotel towers. A total of 5,005 green balloons were released, each containing a gift certificate valid for one complimentary stay in one of the rooms.